murphy girl

04 August 2006

capture


so my cats have been going crazy over something underneath the desk for days, and then tuesday morning i heard it chirping (very loudly!) and thought it had to be the biggest cricket on the planet. no matter, the cats will get it eventually. except that it wasn't a cricket......

i walked into the house tuesday evening after a long, grueling day, and was greeted by a bat flying across my living room! not good, i thought!!!! i must protect myself and my cats, i thought!!! (so, i'll call my husband, i thought!!!) damn, he's getting a massage, and so i am alone in the house with a bat and my (immense) fear! i would like to say i did the noble thing by capturing it and letting it go outside. and in the past, when my murphy had her jaws locked on some poor creature that got in the house, i made her give it up and i let it go outside. but i couldn't do that this time, i was paralyzed with fear, and armed with a broom, tennis racket, and eventually, these books (wrapped in a plastic bag, ever efficient!). so after the deed was done, i left it for aiden to clean up when he got home (hey, he was getting a massage while i was vying for my very life!); turns out i wasn't even successful! i only got it's wing under the books (explains why i was always last to be picked for a team in gym class)! so aiden had to take care of it afterall.....i would like to point out that in my panic, i immediately got on the internet to find out how to handle this (it was on the floor a lot instead of flying around, so i couldn't open a window and shoo it out, which was the original plan, i swear!!); according to the internet (which is always right, right?), a sick bat will lay down, healthy ones fly near a draft. anyway, i'm not proud of it.....i let my fear get hold of me; the truly brave thing would have been trying to get it outside!

immediately afterward, aiden said i should do this very drawing. and since it fits so nicely with this week's theme, here it is in prismacolor pencils

13 Comments:

Blogger n. said...

my family and i lived in syracuse for about 15 years and we used to get a lot of bats, sometimes, too. we had to put mothballs inside the wall to scare them away. but the downside of this was mothball allergies for months...

in short, commiserations. and cute drawing!

04 August, 2006 18:48  
Blogger Tanya Nichols said...

did you use oil pastels for the kitty pic? love your clean and yummy ice cream collage...

04 August, 2006 18:56  
Blogger Joseph Chiang said...

i like your primsacolor! cooll!

04 August, 2006 20:48  
Blogger Heartful said...

Wow, how stressful! Like the drawing though.

05 August, 2006 06:06  
Blogger String said...

What an experience! Nice post and illo!

05 August, 2006 14:06  
Blogger The Unknown said...

Ahhh! Great illo, great story.
Love the post.
love

05 August, 2006 15:27  
Blogger Tiger Mouse said...

Love the colours in this illo. Poor old bat. It sounds like it wasn't a well bat anyway.

Once a possum fell down our chimney and I was surprised by how stressed I was when I had to try and get it out - they have big claws - ended up wrapping it in a towel and getting it out before the dog got it.

06 August, 2006 02:47  
Blogger Liz Jones said...

Uh-oh... Hope you scrubbed those plastic-coated books really well! Poor bat... and poor you!

06 August, 2006 09:53  
Blogger constance wong said...

Oh my! A bat in the house! That's really something! I like the illo :)

06 August, 2006 18:06  
Blogger Willie Baronet said...

Holy bat story batman! Ewwwww.

You are a brave woman. :-)

08 August, 2006 18:02  
Blogger Willie Baronet said...

And thanks for the kind words about the blog.

::blushing::

10 August, 2006 08:29  
Blogger MjM said...

Better watch out - Robin might come for revenge!

Cute drawing

MjM

15 August, 2006 11:08  
Blogger Janet said...

OoOoOo....I wouldn't want to encounter a bat in the house!
One night, years ago, a bat flew into the car with my mom, dad and little sister.I'm glad I wasn't along for the ride...

18 August, 2006 18:21  

Post a Comment

<< Home