murphy girl

11 September 2007

happy birthday, dad

today is my father's birthday, he would have been 65; he died january 31st at 7:35pm.

it wasn't a surprise, so we had time to 'prepare', and later i realized that i did much of my grieving during the two years leading up to his death. when he died, i wondered if i had any left.

whenever i hear this song, i weep so uncontrollably that i know i will never be done.

"other side of the world" by kt tunstall

over the sea and far away
she's waiting like an iceberg
waiting to change
but she's cold inside
she wants to be like the water

all the muscles tighten in her face
buries her soul in one embrace
they're one and the same
just like water

the fire fades away
most of everyday
is full of tired excuses
but it's too hard to say
i wish it were simple
but we give up easily
you're close enough to see that
you're the other side of the world to me

on comes the panic light
holding on with fingers
and feelings alike
but the time has come
to move along

the fire fades away
most of everyday
is full of tired excuses
but it's too hard to say
i wish it were simple
but we give up easily
you're close enough to see that
you're the other side of the world to me

can you help me?
can you let me go?
and can you still love me
when you can't see me anymore?

the fire fades away
most of everyday
is full of tired excuses
but it's too hard to say
i wish it were simple
but we give up easily
you're close enough to see that
you're the other side of the world
to me

the photograph was taken by my father and was one of his favorites; it is of the genesee river near rochester, ny.

6 Comments:

Blogger studio lolo said...

This is a beautiful tribute Murph. Very touching.
I miss my parents too. On their birthdays and the anniversary of their deaths, I'm mush. And I can't hear the song "Danny Boy" without completely losing it. It's been 22 years. We never forget, nor should we.
Hugs, lolo.

16 September, 2007 10:25  
Blogger valerie walsh said...

exquisite and moving. i'm sorry for your pain but happy that you had love like that!

18 September, 2007 12:58  
Blogger AnI Testone said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

05 October, 2007 12:31  
Blogger AnI Testone said...

watching the photo i can see that your dad must have been a very special and sensitive man, the same that you seems to be.
My sinceres huges, Analia
Sorry for my english...

05 October, 2007 12:33  
Blogger maria said...

Beautiful!!!!!

17 October, 2007 13:01  
Blogger Aimée Wheaton said...

That photo is so beautiful, your Dad seems like he was a wonderful one. I LOVE that song by KT very moving. I hope you heal from your pain.

26 October, 2007 17:11  

Post a Comment

<< Home